Thursday, September 07, 2006

Remote I/O for triple redundant safety control

ICS Triplex has announced a remote input-output (I/O) interface unit for the Trusted Triple Modular Redundant (TMR) safety system.

ICS Triplex has announced a remote input-output (I/O) interface unit for the Trusted(tm) Triple Modular Redundant (TMR) safety system enabling any of the Expander chassis each with up to 480 I/O to be located 10km distant from the main equipment. Based on 250Mbaud high speed fibre-optic links, the remote I/O unit reduces safety system installation costs by eliminating the need for multiple I/O cables from remote located equipment. The remote I/O uses triplicated links to offer the same fault-tolerant operation as locally mounted Trusted(tm) units.

Unlike merely fail safe operation, fault-tolerant operation uses TMR architecture to identify and outvote processor mismatches to keep running safely in the presence of a fault, almost entirely eliminating spurious plant trips.

Trusted(tm) is certified by TÜV to DIN V VDE 0801 RC(AK)6 for Fire and Gas, Emergency Shut Down and similar highly critical applications where system failures cannot be contemplated.